Sunday, May 22, 2011

Garden time.... moving fast!

If you would have asked me yesterday, I would have told you that I was not going to be planting anything in the garden on Sunday, 5/22.  Even waking up this morning, I really questioned the possibility.  Even up until 3pm, I still questioned my sanity for asking.

I was WRONG.

Spent most of the morning doing some general repair of a raised bed that was damaged when we took the birch down earlier this summer.  A new 2x6 was all that was called for.   Also tried out my father-in-laws B&D 14" electric string trimmer.  Not very good reviews on Amazon, but it did a really great job for me.

My wonderful wife took the time to spend a couple of hours weeding and all she asked was that I help.  Gladly.  We got a big push done and now both of the big compost barrels are full.  Grass cutting took almost 2 hours given the amount of growth that has gone on.

Some pictures to mark the progress that is finally being made.  Thank goodness for raised beds!


Harrow Sweet Pear - Garden Spot

Contender Peach - Garden Spot

Bartlett Pear - Garden Spot
 The garden beds are a blessing in a wet year like the one we are in.  In a lot of instances, people are still going to be a week or more out.  Get me close, and I can get it in!
Onions are starting to come on very quickly

Block planted greens: chard, beets, spinach.  Yes, the beans are up!

Parisian Pickling Cucumbers

Peas, and the trellis is ready!

Tomatoes after a hard rain, with a little hail thrown in.

ASPARAGUS - this is what it is all about!

Garlic, three ways.  Getting ready for a foliar feeding!
Be safe, stay dry, and always practice safe gardening.
Bill

No comments: