Sunday, May 15, 2011

Windy, Cold. Windy. Cold.

It is hard to believe that today is the 15th of May.  I had to wear a sweatshirt today when I cut the grass.  Cold northerly winds went right to the bone.  The good news is that today was relatively sunny, warming the soil and allowing for some opportunistic weeding.

Really nothing to report new in the garden. Everything that we planted last week is pretty much sitting, waiting for warmth to start growing.  I expect to see radish plants poking their heads up pretty quick.  The rest of the garden beds are too wet to work.  Perhaps we will see something by the end of the week.

I did have the opportunity to get out to the UWGB NAS Heirloom Plant sale.  #17 in line.  One of of my best performances.  Picked up 32 plants: tomatoes, peppers, flowers, and some other stuff.  I have to say, the selection was great and the plants looked great.

I then took a quick trip up to Oconto to visit the Martins at Garden Spot.  Picked up 3 fruit trees for the yard.  Two bare root pears and a potted peach tree.  Kind of difficult to think about planting things when it was raining pretty hard.  Great looking trees and a great selection.  Ronald is very helpful.

I have moved my transplants of broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts outside.  They got a good workout in the wind, but it will toughen them up.  Hopefully this week I can get the balance of the kale up and on the deck.

We'll see what the week brings.  I would like to get some more in the garden.

Until then, garden safe.

Bill

No comments: